Tuesday, April 05, 2011

State of Mind

"Mera beta engineer banega. Khoob paisa kamayega".

As far as my memory goes, I always wanted to be an aerospace engineer. Then came the awareness about "global warming" and a countless number of the-world-is-going-to-end theories. Somehow, I was completely fascinated by them. I urged my dad to buy me those encyclopaedias on earth science and climate change. Though most people around shunned the idea of global warming, it stuck with me. I could see the big picture. We are destroying the earth bit by bit, knowing that we have nowhere else to go. Environmental science was my new interest. It still is.

I bet there are a million other people like me who want to be engineers, nevertheless, of different kinds, not because people are pressurising them to, but because they want to.

 What saddens me is that the profession has become so cliched, that nobody takes it seriously. People don't read science because it interests them or fascinates them, but only to earn money. Of course, there's nothing wrong in doing so, but it somehow...doesn't feel right according to me. Engineering colleges in the country are so many, and every household has a qualified engineer to boast of. Most of these people don't even know what engineering's all about. They probably don't even know why they chose to study it. Some drop out of college because they've chosen the wrong course and it's too hard to catch up eith the diffculty of the subject.

Really, what's the point of earning money by doing something that you don't enjoy?
I'd really like to know.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes you are not in position to do whatever you like, sometimes you dont know what you want. Really happy that you know what you want, all the best with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you are doing what you love and are not scared about it.. I think you'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's what I was going to do till last year. Become an engineer bcoz all my friends wanted to and...you know, 'bada aadmi banna hai' and all that. But then I realised that Engineering is not my cuppa tea.
    :)
    I dunno if its the right decision or not, but i am enjoying what I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely ridiculous to go for something you don't like 'cause that's exactly what you'll be stuck with your whole life.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you have zeal and passion, i guess none can stop you.. :)
    just do what ever! u want to do with your life :)it's your life afterall! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Colours- of course... But often, people don't make the right choices out of sheer ignorance.

    @Aishwarya- Exactly. :)

    @The Blue Periwinkle- I'm glad to hear that! :)
    So, what do you do now? :)

    @Cardinla Ruby- Exactly my point.
    And thank you! :)

    @Anuroop- Zeal, paasion and the ability to convince youe parents, I suppose. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, people dont have options so they pursue what comes first. The truth is I happen to do my engineering because I had nothing in my hands then; Au contraire, I have made the best I had and I'm happy to be what I'm today...but now there are new goals that I want to achieve and the past experience was so enriching that I'm utmost clear what I want. Good Luck and thanks for following my blog :)

    ReplyDelete