Monday, May 16, 2011

Pardon me, but do I know you?

That boy who was sitting on a broken chair on my terrace, trying to fix something, was wearing a pair of fancy Nike basketball shoes. I've never been much of a sportsperson myself.  I've always longed for fancy shoes, though. The lady who came onto the terrace for a walk, wore the simplest of shoes.
Why am I obsessing over shoes, you ask?
Because Paolo Nutini sang, " Hey, I put some new shoes on and suddenly every thing's right!"
I want everything to be right too; to feel right.

She came upstairs onto the terrace everyday for her daily evening walk. Her family probably wouldn't let her go to a park 'cause none of them are safe for women these days. At 6 o' clock sharp, she would return home. She would listen to music on her phone while she walked briskly from one end of the terrace to the other, as if trying to keep up with someone.

On my way downstairs that day, I saw a pair of headphones lying on the ground and I instantly knew whose they were. I ran downstairs to return them to her. She looked a little annoyed when she opened the door. I stole a glance into her home. Looking at the carpet on the floor, I figured I interrupted her evening Namaz. When I showed her the earphones, she quickly grabbed them, muttering a low 'Thank you' and managing a smile that looked genuine enough. I responded with a lame 'You're welcome' as she shut the door.  I hurried back home, to my flat on the second floor from hers that was on the fifth.

That was probably the only communication we had since five years of living in the same building.

We are neighbours...

3 comments: